I watched this movie by myself at 2:00pm on a Tuesday because I thought I would hate it and I wanted to pay the least amount of money and waste the worst part of the day so I could get this review over with. To my almost disappointed surprise, I seriously loved this movie. I will probably see it again on a Saturday night with friends because I loved it so much.
Let me tell you why I thought I’d hate it:
1) I don’t play video games
2) I don’t like video games
3) I don’t know anything about virtual reality
4) I don’t understand virtual reality or video games
With that as my highly intellectual background, I assumed I wouldn’t understand the obsession with being in a virtual reality and wanting to then kill because of it (that was a spoiler alert from the previews so calm down). I don’t want to give any spoiler alerts because this movie is still currently in theaters but let me just give you a list as to why I ended up loving this film.
1) The main character is awkward and honest which are my two favorite things in a male lead
2) I am competitive and this movie is all about winning a game so I got hooked
3) To win the game you have to be a super nerd and do a ridiculous amount of research and I respect that
4) The end was SO EMOTIONAL. I couldn’t believe I how much I was crying and I was shocked more than you can imagine that I legit LOVED the ending of this film.
I, again, don’t want to spoil anything because you should just go and watch this film, but the moral of the story that I got is this: It’s easy to want to escape from the real world and be somebody else that might be a “better” version of you, but ultimately the real world is where you can find love and have a decent meal. Boom. Pow.
Popcorn Rating: 4 popped corns and 1 kernel
I loved this movie, therefore everyone will love it. I had the so much to gain from this being a bad movie because I literally hate on video games all the time, and I genuinely wished that this movie would prove my point. But, to my chagrin, this movie rocks and my gloating has been put on hold and you should go watch it.